Why my cabinet will be small – Buhari

Buhari meeeting speaking  Journalists  at his Dura home  
President-elect, Gen Buhari, has given a glimpse of what to expect from him as he takes over the office of the president of the federal republic of Nigeria come May 29th, 2015. While speculations are rife that the influx of opposition party members into the APC may present a challenge to the incoming administration, and also considering the caliber of personalities who worked tirelessly to ensure victory at the polls last moths; the president elect has said, there is no cause for alarm... that is administration would work with a small size team of knowledgable and experienced technocrats. 

Gen. Buhari also threw light on the issue of Boko Haram, and other matters currently of concern to the nation; saying his administration would place emphasis on  security, economy, unemployment, corruption’ etc.

 read excerpt from interview with Vanguard.


 On the formation of his Cabinet,

Can we know when your Transition Committee would be in place?

We have started discussing about it. Personally, I will make sure that it is not too big because if it is big, they will start thinking of how to influence the choice of ministers either for themselves or those they want to be ministers. But my idea is to get knowledgable and experienced technocrats who are really patriotic to study the handing over notes by ministries and make recommendations.

I want them to be completely detached people who are patriotic Nigerians, who are knowledgable and experienced. If we get majority of politicians involved it will lead to a lot of row and we may end up with inconclusive recommendations which are not very helpful in our condition.

When I get it ready and before it is published, I will show it to the leadership of my party and the terms of reference as well as the time limit and the result of their work, we will quickly study before the inauguration so that before we are sworn-in, we get into action.


On ending Boko Haram within two months 

There have been reports that you promised to end the Boko Haram insurgency within two months, but your media team reacted saying you never said so. Can you now set the record straight?

I think I am too experienced in internal security to give two months deadline on Boko Haram. I don’t think I would have made that mistake because I tried to look at some of my experiences even when I was in uniform with the rebels from Chad when I was GOC in Jos and with Maitatsine. So, for me to say that when I come into office, I will get rid of Boko Haram in two months, I don’t think I would have made that statement. I didn’t.

As I have mentioned on several occasions, we that have, at one time or the other, wore Nigeria military uniform felt terribly embarrassed that for six years, the military couldn’t bring order to 14 out of 774 local governments in the country after Burma, Zaire, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Dafur where Nigerian military earned respect internationally for their performance.

To fail to secure 14 out of 774 local governments. I still can’t reconcile myself with that disgrace. We will try and work with our neigbours such as Chad, Cameroon and Niger who are fighting Boko Haram for us. Look at Chad helping Nigeria or Niger, or Cameroon itself. This nation has been humiliated by the PDP. God willing, with our experiences, we will quickly marshal support and we are asking Boko Haram to pack and go.

When asked if his administration would bring back the Buhari/Idiagbon disciplinary method, the Gen. said,  People are even more prepared to behave now  than in 1983.


Why my cabinet will be small – Buhari  Why my cabinet will be small – Buhari Reviewed by getitrightnigerians on 09:28:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Take advantage of our blog traffic and promote your product to millions of viewers.

For advert placements and other Enquiries, kindly send us a mail at getitrightnigerians@gmail.com or call 08025707646, 07031338542

Visit the Play stores to Download our mobile app and stay up -to-date.

Powered by Blogger.